Christian White is a Melbourne-based author and screenwriter.
Christian’s second novel, thriller / mystery, The Wife and the Widow, was released at the end of 2019 to great critical acclaim. It recently made the 2020 longlist for the Booksellers’ Choice Adult Fiction book of the year.
His debut novel, The Nowhere Child, published by Affirm Press, won the Wheeler Centre Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for Best Unpublished Manuscript in 2017. The book was also shortlisted for the Australian Book Industry Awards’ General Fiction Book of the Year, the Matt Richell Award for New Writer of the Year, and the Indie Book Awards’ Debut Fiction Book of the Year. It was the fastest selling debut novel by an Australian author and rights have sold into 18 countries.
Christian co-wrote the feature film, Relic, a psychological horror about a daughter, mother and grandmother who are haunted by a manifestation of dementia that consumes their family home. The film was directed by Natalie Erika James and stars Emily Mortimer and Bella Heathcote. It was picked as the 2020 Midnight Screener at Sundance, as well as being shown in Midnighters at this year’s SXSW. It also premiered at the Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival as part of the Bucheon Choice program.
Christian is co-creator and co-producer on the upcoming Netflix series Clickbait with Tony Ayres Productions and Heyday.Click Bait is inspired by his pilot script One Year Later, winner of the 2014 AWG Think Inside The Box competition.
His short film Creswick, co-written with Natalie, recently won the 2017 AWGIE Award for Best Short Form screenplay. He has also written short films Coma – which screened at Tropfest – and Small, supported through Open Channel’s Raw Nerve initiative, which screened at the opening night of Palm Springs International ShortFest.
Christian has a number of projects in development.
For a full CV please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Her name is Sammy Went. This photo was taken on her second birthday. Three days later she was gone.’ On a break between teaching photography classes, Kim Leamy is approached by a stranger investigating the disappearance of a little girl from Kentucky twenty-eight years earlier. He believes she is that girl.
- At first Kim brushes it off, but when she scratches the surface of her family background in Australia, questions arise that aren’t easily answered. To find the truth, she must travel to Sammy’s home of Manson, Kentucky, and into a dark past. As the mystery unravels and the town’s secrets are revealed, this superb novel builds towards a tense, terrifying, and entirely unexpected climax.
- Inspired by Gillian Flynn’s frenetic suspense and Stephen King’s masterful world-building, The Nowhere Childis a combustible tale of trauma, cult, conspiracy and memory. It is the remarkable debut of Christian White, an exhilarating new Australian talent attracting worldwide attention.
- The Nowhere Childwon the 2017 Wheeler Centre Victorian Premier’s Literary Award for Best Unpublished Manuscript, and was published in 2018 through Affirm Press, with rights also sold into 17 countries. The Nowhere Child was recently longlisted for the 2019 Indie Book Awards in the Debut Fiction category. Christian White is currently working on his second novel.
- Published by Affirm Press [To purchase, go to Publisher]
Set against the backdrop of an eerie island town in the dead of winter, The Wife and the Widow is a mystery/thriller told from two perspectives: Kate, a widow whose grief is compounded by what she learns about her dead husband’s secret life; and Abby, an island local whose world is turned upside down when she’s forced to confront the evidence that her husband is a murderer. But nothing on this island is quite as it seems, and only when these women come together can they discover the whole story about the men in their lives.
Brilliant and beguiling, The Wife and the Widow takes you to a cliff edge and asks the question: how well do we really know the people we love?
Published by Affirm Press
[To purchase, go to Publisher]